February 09 2016
Skip the cookies and chips! Whether you're entertaining in a inch or just mixing up a snack this 5 Minute hummus recipe is a tastey nutrient packed go-to. With less sodium and preservatives than store-bought hummus and such easy preparation you'll find this is a staple addition to your household recipe book. Plus it will give you an excuse to eat all those veggies in your fridge.
- 1 large can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste), well stirred
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic ( or more if you like it garlic-y)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Put the chickpeas in a strainer and remove any debris; rinse well.
- Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. With the machine running, add the tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and the reserved cooking water; puree until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the hummus to a bowl, and sprinkle with paprika or red pepper flakes to your preference. Serve with pita bread and/or vegetables. To store, cover and refrigerate - lasts 3 to 4 days.